I became obsessed with the idea of REI moms once I visited my best friend Haley in Oregon with a few other of my best friends Paige, Emily and Sara. It was one of the last days there and Emily, Haley and Paige really wanted a Patagonia sweatshirt. I had no idea what this meant but we drove over to REI to see the sweatshirts that they were talking about. So we go into the store, go upstairs to check the clothing section and there they were. There was a seminar going on about different trails and hikes in the Oregon area and I see all moms filling the seats. Sitting in their seats with their patagonia sweatshirt, baseball caps, leggings and new nikes. It was one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen.
The aesthetic of REI moms have continued to inspire me from that moment on. I think it because they are fit as hell, cute clothes and the romanticized idea of adventure activities. I have honestly just gone to REI sometimes just to look around at the fun, cute stuff that REI moms do.
So what exactly is a REI Mom?
There are many types of REI moms but they all have some common themes between them:
Fashion wise: (and they wore these BEFORE they were fashionable!!)
- probably fit as hell, probably hella tan too!!
- most definitely has a Patagonia jacket. In the back of their closet, they probably have a Columbia and North Face too
- speaking of North Face, they have a North Face backpack (and a CamelBak one probably)
- a Hydroflask (and ALWAY carrying it), possibly multiple in different sizes and different add ons
- SmartWool socks, for their nights of camping in the woods of course
- Chaco shoes or Birkenstocks, with their old Tevas in the back closet
- wearing a fitbit type watch, but in a few years or so they might upgrade to Apple Watch or Garmin
- most likely to be wearing yoga leggings or yoga pants daily. If not, their pants of choice is probably Splash Roll Up Pants
- probably has a 13.1 or 26.2 sticker on the back of their car, but for those mom more into biking/kayaking/hiking, they have a 0.0 sticker (because they’re quirky and fun like that)
- owns a ENO hammock and probably reads National Geographic in it in the morning with their cup of tea
- and yoga every morning before the hammock (after this morning run possible with the large dog? or maybe that’s before dinner)
- Osprey backpack for their backpacking trips
- DEFINITELY HIKES. A MUST and they have baby carrier packs on their backs or their front because NOTHING stops REI moms. Choice of trekking poles is possible
- kayaks in the summer morning on the weekends
- takes a week out of July and camps for four or five days with the family. Fully prepared with all the kitchen utensils, sleeping pads, and everything in between
- probably bikes a few times a week after dinner with the kids
So whats my obsession with REI moms? Why should they be viewed as amazing beings?
REI Moms literally stop at the nothing. These woman go to work all day or do house work all day or take care of the kids OR WHATEVER, and they still find a way to go outside and do something active. I don’t know about you but I do not go outside and do active stuff because 1) its way too hot 2) I’m lazy. These REI moms are out and busy all day and instead of plopping down on the couch and watch TV after a long day, they dO ACTIVE THINGS TO RELAX?? W H A T. They do not waste ONE moment. They could easily live lives of watching tv or movies or do mindless activity to relax but these woman take time that they have and experience the best gift the Earth could of given us: nature. (ugh so cheesy but TRU!!) Also they exercise for fun and LIKE IT. They are simply superheroes.
So next time you go to REI or an Outdoor store, make your way through the woman’s section or each section of the different sports (hiking/kayaking/yoga etc) and remember to pay tribute to the wonderful superheros of REI moms.
You could look at the REI blog here and cry a little.